Doing some California dreaming, but unsure how to get an RN license in California? Getting a nursing license in California is easy with American Mobile. We have created a streamlined approach that gets travel nurses ready to work in The Golden State—where they can take advantage of many high-paying travel nursing jobs.
We will guide registered nurses through every step, expedite the licensure process, and can even reimburse nurses’ California license fees.
In addition, our recruiters have the connections and expertise to get placements in top facilities up and down the state, from sunny San Diego to the majestic redwoods throughout Northern California.
How to get a California Nursing License for an Assignment
To qualify for a California nursing license by endorsement as an RN, applicants must:
- Hold a current and active RN license in another state, U.S. territory, or Canada;
- Have completed an educational program meeting all California requirements; and
- Have passed the NCLEX-RN or the SBTPE exam.
If all requirements are not met, a nurse can apply for California RN licensure by examination.
The California Board of Registered Nursing requires license applicants to provide:
- Payment of application fees: $350 for a permanent license, $100 for temporary
- Completed application (BreEZe online system recommended)*
- Completed fingerprint card
- Recent 2" x 2" passport-type photograph
- Verification of current license(s)
- Certified nursing school transcripts
We Will Streamline the Process
Applying for California RN licensure can seem complicated and time-consuming, but American Mobile has developed a system that gets travel nurses ready to practice—quickly and easily.
Our licensing team provides:
- A dedicated liaison who works with the California Board of Registered Nursing
- A clear, five-step process to follow, including complete instructions and direct access to forms and resources
- Expedited delivery of documentation and fingerprint screening
- Tracking systems to ensure timeliness, accuracy, and completeness of applications
- Availability to answer questions and troubleshoot when necessary
- Reimbursement for licensing fees in many cases (ask a recruiter for details)
How Long Does it Take to Get?
The California Board of Registered Nursing cites a 10-12 week average turnaround for permanent nursing licenses, or 8-10 weeks for temporary licenses, once all documentation is received.
The good news? Travel nurses can shorten these times by several weeks, by working with American Mobile’s board liaison and following our expedited process!
Do Multi-State Licenses Work in California?
California is not part of the Nurse Licensure Compact, which allows nurses in more than 30 states in the compact to work across state lines without getting an additional license. Nurses with a compact state license will still need to apply for California RN licensure by endorsement.
Requirements for California Nursing License Renewal
An initial California RN license is issued for two birthdays, not two years, and will expire the last day of the month following an applicant’s birth date. From that date on, it will expire every two years.
Nurses can renew online and must provide renewal fees and fingerprinting for an active status license. After the first renewal period, an RN will also need to complete 30 hours of continuing education in order to maintain his or her license.
Let Us Help You!
Ready to get started? The licensing experts at American Mobile are available to answer questions and help RNs through the process of obtaining their California nursing license for travel nursing jobs. Our recruiters will also help find ideal assignments in the hospital and healthcare facility of your choice.
Design your ideal job