Nestled in the awe-inspiring Appalachian Mountains, the state of West Virginia is famous for its natural beauty and scenery. If you love the outdoors, we think you will fall in love with “The Mountain State.” From the stunning New River Gorge Bridge near Fayetteville that is a must-see attraction to the countless hiking trails and camping spots that dot the maps, there is something for everyone in West Virginia.
Travel nurses will enjoy a steady stream of open assignments at the state’s top healthcare facilities, as well as easy access to other nearby cities and states. West Virginia is framed by Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Kentucky, making it easy to explore this region on your days off.
If you’re intrigued by an assignment in West Virginia, the first thing you will need is a West Virginia nursing license. Not sure where to start? Not to worry, American Mobile Healthcare is here to help you with all of your licensing questions. And in some cases, we can even reimburse you for your licensing fees!
Get Your West Virginia Nursing License with Our Help!
Pay a visit to the West Virginia Board of Nursing to begin the licensing process.
There are two options:
- Licensure by Exam
- Licensure by Endorsement from Another State
Licensure by exam is available to new nurse graduates who need to take the NCLEX, and Licensure by Endorsement is for RNs who already hold an active license in another state.
West Virginia Licensing Fees
- Endorsement Without Temp Permit - $100.00
- Endorsement With Temp Permit - $125.00
- Endorsement with 90-day Temporary Permit ONLY - $25.00
- Licensure by Examination - $70.00
- RN Renewal - $67.00
West Virginia And The Nurse Licensure Compact
West Virginia is now part of the Enhanced Nurse Licensure Compact (eNLC). This allows nurses with one compact license to practice across state lines in any other state within the compact as long as they meet the Uniform Licensure Requirements.
The process to convert from a single state license to a multistate license if your primary state of residence is WV begins by completing the application at the West Virginia Board of Nursing and selecting the RN Multistate Conversion Form. The process is outlined in the flowchart document. The cost of the multistate conversion application is $7.16.
According to the WV Board of Nursing, an applicant for a West Virginia multistate license must meet the following criteria:
- West Virginia must be your Primary State of Residency
- Has graduated from a Board-approved education program
- Has passed English proficiency exam, if graduated from an international education program
- Has passed NCLEX
- Is eligible for or holds an active unencumbered license
- Has submitted to state and federal fingerprint-based criminal background checks
- Has no state or federal felony convictions
- Has no misdemeanor convictions related to the practice of nursing (determined on a case-by-case basis)
- Is not currently in an alternative program
- Is required to self-disclose current participation in an alternative program
- Has a valid United States Social Security number
West Virginia Nursing License Verification
License verification for RN license endorsement purposes is handled through Nursys.
All currently active West Virginia RN Licenses expire on October 31 of each year. The renewal period will begin September 1, and you must renew your license by October 31 or your RN license will lapse. Renewals can be done completely online.
Get Your License Fees Reimbursed!
West Virginia nursing license and renewals information is waiting for you at American Mobile. Let our expert recruiters help you with the West Virginia nursing license process, or assist you in getting your existing license renewed.
Do you want to see what kind of jobs are available in the state? You can search for high-paying travel nursing jobs in West Virginia using our online job search tool. Make sure to complete your American Mobile job application to be considered for travel nursing jobs across West Virginia.
Design your ideal job