Job Description & Requirements
Labor & Delivery Nurse
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. The job incumbent is required to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide patient care appropriate to the age of the patients served on their assigned unit(s). This requires that the incumbent demonstrates knowledge of the princi¬ples of growth and devel¬opment as well as the physical, emotional and psycho-social needs of the patient population served.
2. Work requires a professional level of knowledge of nursing practice and theory at a level that generally can be acquired by completion and graduation from an accredited School of Nursing.
3. The job incumbent is required to become nationally certified once qualified to test (2 years of employment and 2000 worked hours in specialty).
4. Work requires three to six months unit-specific orientation and on-the-job training to learn department/unit policies, procedures and work routines; to develop proficiency in use of medical equipment and instru¬ments used on assigned unit; to learn nursing care and quality assurance standards; and gain an understanding of the types of patients cared for on unit, their needs, and effective nursing interventions.
5. Work requires the interpersonal skills necessary to comfort patients, family members and/or significant others; to communicate effectively and concisely with other patient care providers; and to instruct patients, family members and/or significant others in self-care/home care procedures.
6. Work requires analytical ability necessary to assess patients' physical, psychological and social needs, develops individual¬ized patient care plans, and evaluate patients' responses to medical and nursing interventions.