POSITION SUMMARY: The CCU RN delivers and coordinates the delivery of care for Critically ill
adult and geriatric patients so that physiological, psychosocial, safety, learning and self-care needs of
patients and their families are addressed. The RN uses his/her understanding of
physiology/pathophysiology, nursing process, technology and interpersonal communications to accomplish
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: The staff RN reports to the Nurse Manager-Med Tele/CCU and/or
Charge Nurse. The staff RN may direct nursing activities of other RN’s, LVN’s, and Unit Secretaries. The
nurse also supervises nursing students assigned to his/her patients.
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
1. Graduate of accredited school of nursing.
2. Current California RN Licensure required.
3. BSN or CCRN preferred.
4. Critical Care Certification preferred.
1. Minimum 2 years CCU RN experience within the last 5 years required. CCRN or Critical Care
Certification in lieu of this requirement within 3 months of hire.
2. Previous EKG monitored unit experience as an RN required.
1. Must demonstrate basic Critical Care nursing skills.
2. Ability to work with all levels of nursing personnel and assist them in a resource capacity.
3. Able to provide guidance to personnel in appropriate procedures and/or policies.
4. Knowledgeable in current critical care nursing practices, techniques and procedures.
5. Works independently with minimal direct supervision.
1. BLS, ACLS certification required.
2. CCRN, CCU certification preferred.
3. Learn operations of relevant critical care equipment.
Physical Requirements: See Essential & Physical Position Functions
Quantifiable Dimension: Interdeterminate
Adheres to the Code of Conduct set fourth in Sutter Delta Medical Center, standards for business
conduct policies and procedures.
Performs duties in a safe, ethical and honest manner, and promptly and appropriately addresses
potential violations of the Sutter Delta Medical Center standards for business conduct policy and
FREEDOM TO ACT/ACCOUNTABILITY: The Staff RN is accountable to the patients, Nurse
Manager, and co-workers in the provision of care and promoting a collaborative environment. The RN
practices within the scope of the California RN Nurse Practice Act. The Staff RN is accountable for
reviewing the patient’s condition, evaluating and revising time lines, evaluating the performance of team
members, reviewing and reporting diagnostic study results to physicians.
The Staff RN must make decisions relevant to patient care, and provide recommendations to the physician,
patient care team, and family on the most appropriate plan of care and appropriate discharge options
including patient care teaching plan, basic home care plan, and transfer options.
Maintains effective working relationships with patients, visitors, all levels of nursing personnel, ancillary
services and physicians. The CCU Critical Care RN demonstrates the principles of continuous quality
improvement in problem solving and promoting excellence.
HIPPA = ACCESS TO PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION BY JOB TITLE
1. Demographic information, including name and contact information.
2. Date of Service Information
3. Patient Location Information
4. Billing and Insurance Coverage Information
5. Medical Record Information,